Thursday 25 June 2009

Little boxes.........



Gooood morning :)

I had such a great evening building last night.
Finally I cracked the secret to animating prims!! Yes, I know it's been possible for quite some time now, and I had tried before - really tried hard, headache making tried! but never quite got that 'Eureka' moment.
Until yesterday!
I've been tinkering away making odds and sod's to dress the new pre-fabs with, mostly new furniture, but I got sidetracked with making more useless, but decorative stuff. Like jars and mirrors etc.
I decided to make a jewellery box. It turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself - pale blue leather with navy suede lining, two clasps on the front and a separate drawer inside.
I set about putting a hinge on the lid for it to open and close. I do this wherever possible as I think it adds a little extra touch of realism. But the hinge script needed tampering with, setting the rotations etc, and I just didn't have the patience.
I logged out and got on with some things at home here, all the while pondering about hinges and moving prims etc.
Later, when I went back inworld I was tidying my Inventory when I noticed something I'd bought for $L1 on a whim. I took a proper look and read the Notecard. it said something about Frames and moving prims, so I decided to give it a try.
I dropped the script into the jewellery box and Touched it. Nothing happened, not a hint of movement! Bah! what a waste of time.
Then I made a cuppa, and sat and properly read the instructions - hmmmmmmm that sometimes makes all the difference!

Next time I followed them to the letter - hey presto! a lid that opens without a prim hinge :)
Not content with that I decided to try my luck with making the tray inside the box move too.
Joy!!
I now have a jewellery box that opens, the tray pops up and slides! yippeee!
(have you seen the Torley TuT when he does his little Happy Dance? yes, dear reader - I did that Happy Dance!) lols.

Funny isn't it how we can get sooo excited about things that only exist on another plane?!

No comments:

Post a Comment